Monday, May 25, 2009

COBBLERMANIA!

Today I had the joyous pleasure of trying the most amazing sugar-free dessert.

My sister and I were innocently wandering around Fiesta Hermosa's food court trying to decide amongst the many tempting vendors. My feet froze as my eyes locked in on a sign that read "So good you'll (want to) slap somebody!"  Now them's fightin' word where I come from.   You don't go around saying that unless you can back it up. And besides, I saw the word "cobbler" (which never leads to anything bad) so I beelined right to this booth. 

To my dismay, the table was bare. Damn! Just like Old Mother Hubbard.  The nice lady there said to just come right on back because there was more coming and it was worth waiting for. and I kindly noted that it better be because the sign says so good you'll slap somebody.  She laughs and adds that not only are these cobblers good, but - wait for it- they are sugar free! What? I want to slap someone already. These cobblers are made from agave nectar as opposed to sugar so are better for the glycemic index and better for diabetics blah blah blah. I say does it come in peach? OK then we'll be back. 

We proceeded to the beer garden to wait. and eat Holy Guaca-moly. and matsui. I love festivals.

I ended up getting a strawberry-rhubarb cobbler. Rhubarb reminds me of my childhood. I can remember seeing piles of fresh rhubarb and being amazed at how good that sour vegetable (or whatever it is) could be in a pie. I rarely see it anymore, so I took this chance to munch down on some memory lane. 

The cobbler was delectable. The crust had a flaky, yet chewy quality that is so adorable in a cobbler. The syrupy filling was not too sweet but yet sweet enough to complement a fine balance with the tart strawberries and rhubarb. 

Sho'nuff made me want to slap somebody!

Check it out... you can find CobblerMania at local farmer's markets: 

www.cobblermania.com


No comments:

Post a Comment